Entertainment

Atif Aslam enthrals audience at Independence Day concert

By Naeem AhmedPublished on August 15, 2025
Atif Aslam enthrals audience at Independence Day concert
KARACHI: A large number of girls and boys began to trickle into the verdant lawns of Sindh Governor House on Monday from 7pm (perhaps even before that). They kept coming for three more hours to listen to, arguably, the most popular singer of the country, Atif Aslam, who had been invited by Governor Kamran Tessori to perform as part of the ongoing Maarka-i-Haq Independence Day celebrations organised in Sindh.

The youths were so eager to listen to Atif Aslam that the three-hour dreary wait, or the rather prolonged speech made by Mr Tessori, did not dampen their spirits. One must also give credit to the host of the show, Faizan Haq, who very intelligently conducted proceedings (apart from the rather uninteresting questions that he asked the youngsters) and kept engaging the audience when there was no musical action taking place. He knows his job well.

Finally, when Atif appeared on stage, following the beginning notes of one of his early hits Wo lamhey, the venue came alive, the atmosphere became electric, and cell phones pulled out to capture the images of the celebrated vocalist.

The second song on his playlist was Tu chahyey from the film Bajrangi Bhaijan. But he seemed to be going through his songs rather quickly as if he wanted to finish early. Nonetheless, the crowd enjoyed it.

A big crowd gathers at Governor House to listen to country’s popular singer; show gets disrupted by unruly crowd behaviour

Next up was the super famous Tera honay laga hun from the movie Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani. Most youngsters knew the lyrics to the song as Atif from time to time pushed the mic away from himself and put it in front of the crowd to let them belt out the lines.

This was followed by another well-known track Dil diyan gallan. The lilting melody of the composition made many to sway gently to the number.

Then the singer asked the crowd what they wanted to hear. One doesn’t know whether he complied with their request or the next piece was on his list, but Jal Pari (from Coke Studio) elevated the concert to another level. It was fun. However, a couple of minutes into the song, Atif stopped. He saw something happening in the front portion of the lawn where boys and girls were packed like sardines. The girls in the crowd were feeling uncomfortable. Atif said the organisers must fix the problem. The show was halted as appeals were made, including by the governor, to the audience to settle down. During this time, scores of people left the venue. After 20 minutes or so of disruption, the concert resumed.

200,000 registered for concert at National Stadium: minister

Local Government Minister Saeed Ghani has said that all arrangements for the mega musical concert to be held at the National Stadium on Wednesday (today) as part of Independence Day celebrations have been finalised.

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, he said while the stadium’s seating capacity was just over 27,000, more than 200,000 people have registered and free passes have been issued to them. However, entry will be strictly on a first-come, first-served basis through these passes.

“Entry will begin at 6:00 pm and continue until the stadium reaches capacity, after which all gates will be closed, even for pass-holders,” he said.

Accompanied by Minister Zulfiqar Ali Shah, he said parking arrangements have been made at the Expo Centre and China Ground, from where a free shuttle service will transport people to the stadium.

Mr Ghani said Rangers, police and personnel in plain clothes will be deployed in all enclosures.

He stressed that the celebration is neither a Pakistan Peoples Party event nor a Sindh government event, but a celebration of Pakistan’s Independence for all citizens.

Leaders of all political parties in Karachi have been invited, along with national heroes, diplomats, business leaders, civil society members, sports personalities, and others from all walks of life.