Health

Flood-hit KP turns to donors for disease prevention

By Naeem AhmedPublished on August 18, 2025
Flood-hit KP turns to donors for disease prevention
PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa health department is set to launch an appeal for donor support for disease prevention after flood havoc in several high-risk districts.

The department, which has already declared a health emergency in the calamity-hit areas, has called a meeting of donor agencies, including the United Nations, to coordinate relief efforts.

In a letter sent to donor agencies, Director-General (Health Services) Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Dr Shahid Yunis noted that the situation was devastating in view of the reports shared by the district health officers.

He said the floods had caused massive damage to infrastructure and public life inBuner, Swat, Shangla, Abbottabad, Mansehra, Mohmand and Bajaur districts.

Health dept declares emergency in calamity-hit areas

“In light of this emergency, it is important that the department, in collaboration with all partner organisations, timely coordinates the emergency response activities to efficiently address the urgent health needs of the flood-hit people, so a health coordination meeting has been convened at 11am on August 18 at the DGHS‘s committee room,” he said in the letter.

The DG said the meeting to be chaired by him would inform participants about the flood situation, dengue fever and other health issues, while there would be a presentation by partner organisations about the challenges posed by floods and corrective measures.

Director (public health) at the DGHS Dr Mohammad Saleem told Dawn that the control room established by the department had so far recorded injuries to 143 people due to rains and floods.

“We are coordinating with district authorities the response to human injuries, caused by the calamity, the outbreak of food- and water-borne diseases, and snake bites, dengue and other public health issues,” he said.

The director said district public health coordinators, surveillance officers and integrated disease Surveillance response system’s focal persons were being trained to respond to the situation and take appropriate control and preventive measures.

Meanwhile, the health department has also announced a health emergency in the flood-hit districts.

In a letter to all district health officers and medical superintendents of district headquarters hospitals, health secretary Shahidullah Khan said after heavy flood and rainfall, there was a need for preventing the outbreak of communicable diseases and for effectively monitoring risks to the health of the affected population.

“The competent authority is pleased to declare a health emergency in all public sector hospitals of the affected districts, including Buner, Swat, Mansehra, Abbottabad, Mohmand and Bajaur districts with immediate effect,” he said in the letter.

The secretary said all staff members of health centres, including doctors, nurses and paramedics, had been put on high alert to handle the situation and mitigate the prospects of loss of human lives, while MSs and DHOs had been directed to cancel leaves of all subordinates to provide care to hospital visitors without interruption.

He directed all health workers to immediately respond to the needs of people in flood-hit areas and stay connected with stakeholders, especially the district administrations and rescue and relief teams, for “synergy of teamwork and cohesive response for better outcome.”

Meanwhile, adviser to the chief minister on health Ihtesham Ali visited Buner district and inspected health services being provided to the flood-affected people.

In the district, the Provincial Doctors Association, Insaf Doctors Forum, Malgari Doctaran, Young Doctors Association, Al-Khidmat Foundation and Pakistan Islamic Medical Association have set up special camps to cater to the healthcare needs of the people.

The health department has asked private medical centres in the calamity-hit areas to provide services to the residents.